Battle Reports

Friday 8 December 2017

Lucky-Sixes Painting Update #3

Hallo there!

Another few sessions of painting gone and I have now completed the shambling horde!
Thats 41 bad-boy zombies completed and officially marks the half way stage of our challenge. Very exciting times :)

So, last time we spoke I left you with what I had finished already. Let's recap shall we...


10x Knights of Ryma (Highborn Elves)
10x Wraiths / Spectral Hunters (Vampire Covenant)

1x Frost Phoenix + Rider (Highborn Elves)
1x Elder Dragon Centaur (Warriors of the Dark Gods)

Now add to that 41 undead zombies that makes 63 / 100 models completed and we are well on our way with 3 weeks still to go!

Anyway, shall we get down to business? Let's take a look...
P.S. Bonus points goes to you if you can spot the deceased pop star that has come back from the dead - courtesy of my wife!







These were pretty quick in finishing to be fair, considering there was so many of them. Being zombies it didn't really matter if I was too neat about it, and it meant I didn't have to paint each one in the same colours (like High Elves for example! - or to be fair most units you want to look similar to each other, but with these there wasn't a need as most of them are just dead - or undead! - farmers, peasants and general corpses from the ground), so actually they were quite fun to make and passed the time quite quickly!

The only real detail on these models was in the faces which was all done at the end, and gave the models some personality which again was quite fun. Some of the models have guts coming out of them, so I just used a blood red colour and washed it to show the definitions - which leads me to a question on these models. As opposed to all my other undead models that were painted, and then I added wash (and they looked 10x better!!!), these I found looked ok as they were and when I added a wash to one of them, it didn't make much change, and I actually thought it detracted from the quality of them. So I decided to leave them how they are as I was quite happy with them, and I feel if I get any more, I can make them look similar in style so happy to stop there. If you guys have any tips for adding wash/highlighting these to make them look better then please let me know - happy to try different techniques out and see which ones I like/am good at applying!

And now to answer the question that I'm sure all of you have been itching to be answered from the start; the burning question that has been on everyone's mind from the beginning of the post - nay, the whole Lucky-Sixes painting challenge itself - Why the bloody hell is there 41 Zombies!?!?!?
Well, I'm glad you asked! The pack of zombies came with 2 extra bases - I'm not sure why. So, I used this opportunity to test my skills on creating an extra zombie from the remaining parts on the sprues and some spare parts I had from previous kits. Piecing together a gravestone, arms, heads and a torso, I felt like I was possessed by Frankenstein himself!
Thus, 'Franky' was born, my own creation, Mwahahahahaha!!!!!


Now, granted, I chose the easiest time to do it, as by definition of the model itself, I literally couldn't go wrong! But as it was my first attempt at it I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Like I said from the start, I don't proclaim to be a phenomenal painter, with superb customisation skills - quite the opposite - so I'm counting this as a win, and a very small step on my way to self improvement! lol.
This continued, when my good friend Stat-Rat encouraged me to include a standard bearer, as the Zombie unit can have one - which to be honest, I find funny that a zombie unit would be controlled enough to nominate someone as their standard bearer, and funnier still that one would step forward and take pride in bearing the general's mark! At least that is what I would like to think happens anyway! So I took one of my old, spare elf standard sheets (from the archery kit I believe) and proceeded to destroy it and make it look worthy of an undead unit! So here is the (proud) zombie standard...


This was before I based him, but gives you an idea of what I've done to the standard anyway. It started off life as a pristine Elf banner made from the finest silk in the land, only to end its life in the hands of an undead waster. Charming!

Overall, I found the painting of the Zombies really fun to do. Going into these I must admit, I didn't like the prospect of doing 40 infantry in one go; but they surprised me in how creative I could be with them. The assembly part of this was especially fun - specifically when it came to making Franky! - and I would happily do another 40 without hesitation or dread. I will also be looking at my current stash of "bits" to see if I can create some more monstrosities, before going out to buy another unit as well, to save some pennies!

Finally, a little surprise for you to end the painting session. During the week before I had started painting these I played a game with my Elves and at some point in the battle - as sometimes happens - I got a bit carried away and as one of my hands went to move a model, I brushed past my Lionguard unit, knocked over my standard onto the floor, which lead to him coming off his base and breaking. Sad times :( But every cloud and all that, and I decided that whilst I was fixing him I would touch him up and finish the detail on his banner, as he was one that I had left due to laziness! So...


I added a rock to his base (as he needed something to keep him upright - always falling over unbalanced!) and the lion to his standard, as well as an outline around the flag in blue. Whilst it wasn't free hand I am still pleased with the finish, and for my ability - pleased with how both sides look fairly similar. At my stage that's all I can really hope for! lol.

So there you have it, another update from me and a large undead chunk of my challenge complete. To be fair it doesn't make that much of a difference to the overall points tally, but adding 41 infantry models is always handy - especially in the world of PTG. I'm sure they will get a few outings pretending to be something they're not in one of our more proxied battles! hehe. With 63 / 100 models finished, the remaining model count stands at:

1x Necromancer (Vampire Covenant) - Formerly Henrich Kemmler Model
1x Mage/Archmage (Highborn Elves)
1x Phoenix Rider (Highborn Elves)
2x Commander/High Prince (Highborn Elves) - One of which was formerly Annointed of Asuryan

17x Sea Guard (Highborn Elves)
5x Elein Reavers (Highborn Elves)
5x Barrow Knights (Vampire Covenant)
5x Wasteland Knights (Warriors of the Dark Gods)

As always, thanks for supporting and hope you enjoyed!
If you have any questions or want to leave any comments below then please feel free to do so!

Lucky-Sixes

P.P.S The undead popstar was Michael Jackson (MJ). He is in the front row, 3rd on the left, and is also in the first group of zombies in the close ups! Well done to all those that spotted him! Please note the socks lol

No comments:

Post a Comment