Battle Reports

Wednesday 16 September 2015

Lizardmen Lists - Morrzlaxyl


As mentioned in the last post, this entry is going to talk about one of my Lizardmen army lists that is a fairly new creation for me.  The list commanded by Slann Mage-Priest Morrzlaxyl, the Slann of Death.

Up until the last few months I'd never used the tactic known as 'Death Slann' and therefore in all of my Lizardmen lists, none of the Slanns used the Lore of Death for their magic.  I decided to change this and created a list revolving around this Death Slann.

I named him Morrzlaxyl.  I'm not really one to do much research into names, etc. as I like my imagination to do most of the work but I began with the word 'Morr', which I believe is related generally to death in the Warhammer universe.  Then I just finished the name with something Slann-like.  And ended up with Morrzlaxyl.

Morrzlaxyl's first battle was actually a non-proxy affair that took place at Warhammer World in Nottingham, England and therefore the rest of the army was bound by the models I owned.  He was accompanied by a couple of Skink Priests, one on an Ancient Stegadon with an Engine of the Gods, a big block of Saurus, a couple of units of Skirmishing Skinks, a block of Temple Guard, some Cold One Cavalry, Chameleons and some Salamanders.  This pretty much covers the models I own and while I'm not going into great details of the list I can say that this list achieved victory against Lucky-Sixes' Vampire Counts.

One particular event in that battle led me to an idea.  Morrzlaxyl, who was Ethereal and the BSB with a War Banner successfully charged and evaporated a Varghulf.  Quite a feat but he was built perfectly for the job killing the beast by combat resolution alone (it had taken a couple of wounds previously!)

So even though this list was victorious, I changed it a little.  The idea of having an aggressive Slann intrigued me.  So I put the Terror discipline on Morrzlaxyl and a magic sword, plus the Egg Of Quango.  The hope was to break a vulnerable opponent through combat resolution with a couple of wounds from the Egg or the sword being a bonus.  They wouldn't be able to strike back due to the Ethereal rule on him.  The key would be to pick the right opponent.

I rolled up against Bretonnia.  Both Lucky-Sixes and Stat-Rat joined up to go against me and it was an utter disaster!  I advanced a unit of Cold One Cavalry within 11 inches of a unit of Knights of the Realm.  Obviously Lucky-Sixes rolled the dice and made the charge so I was immediately on the back foot as this Knight unit tore through my lines.  I ended up desperately charging Morrzlaxyl into the side of that unit and getting stuck there.  It was more an attempt at saving my army from a bad start than an aggressive Slann taking the fight to his opponent.

Needless to say, the battle was lost, and possibly a bit hastily I dropped the idea of the super-aggressive Slann.  The reason behind this was that I'd lost focus on the whole premise of the list.  It was supposed to be about being a Death Slann.  I'd barely noticed that I was using the Lore of Death and had just gone charging off about combat resolution for the Slann (I blame the Varghulf!)

So I tweaked the list back to what I know and love.  Morrzlaxyl kept the Egg Of Quango and his Ethereal War Banner BSB role but lost the sword I'd given him and gained Magic Resistance (2) and Harmonic Convergence.  This way he could still do some charging if he wanted to (like that first battle) but overall he was still mainly a casting Death Slann with extra channelling ability.

I also joined him up with my favourite Saurus Oldblood Phrau'ka and his bodyguard Scar-Veteran Zotaxyl.  You'll hear more about them in another post.  I also named the Skink Priest that rode the Ancient Stegadon Haadezl.  This is loosely based on the idea of the word 'Hades', i.e. Lord of the Underworld (I did say loosely!)

The rest of the list had stayed the same as the original battle and technically once I finish painting my Saurus characters on their Cold Ones and a few more Skink Skirmishers it would still be a non-proxy list which is pleasing.

But... in an unfortunate anti-climax to this post... the list lost its battle against Lucky-Sixes' Wood Elves.  I don't remember too much about the battle itself but I do remember that having an Ethereal General and BSB who can't join units doesn't work too well against Enchanted Arrows that don't suffer to hit penalties!

I'm yet to re-try the list as this series of 3 battles sparked me into going on a run with all the Lizardmen lists that I'd created.  The next few posts will talk about those lists and how they've been getting on.

Hope you enjoyed reading.
Kind regards,
Hyper-G

No comments:

Post a Comment